Thursday 6 September 2012

Why This Blog Exists

Greetings all. Welcome to The Males Of Games.

In spite of the title making this blog sound like a refuge for bishounen fans, it was actually created to counter several points about sexism in video games that I believe are misleading. Over the past few months, I've noticed several sites, such as Gamespot, giving "air time" to articles about the subject of sexism in video games while only considering a feminist point-of-view. While you might've guessed from the title that this blog aims to discuss sexism in games from the point-of-view of a men's rights activist, I'd also like to go into more detail than the typical "objectification" topic that is thrown around as somehow being representative of institutionalised misogyny and sexism against women in the gaming industry. Although I'm sure we'll get to that subject.

I'd like to point out that this blog is not anti-female. However, there will be occasions that I criticise a feminist argument or point-of-view about games. While I recognize that I may be challenging the deep-seated beliefs of some people, and perhaps stirring up emotions in others, it's worth bearing in mind that none of my arguments will be personal attacks and I hope none of yours will be either. I welcome all comments and, while I'm not above censoring certain comments, take my word for it that it will take a lot for me to do so. If you leave a well thought-out argument and debating points, you will not be censored. If you leave nothing but an insult, then, yeah, you probably will be.

I'll tell you a little about myself. While I'm not willing to give out my name, I'm twenty-four years old and live in the north east of England. I've been playing video games for around two decades or so, starting with the Amiga 500+. I doubt this blog will ever become hugely popular but I hope, at the very least, it will provide an interesting perspective on sexism in games.